The Public Domain here, there, and everywhere

Alex Brown alexb at griffinbrown.co.uk
Tue Nov 2 15:40:00 CET 2010

Rob hi

Unless I missed it, I don't believe anybody has proposed to "simply take the Application Note [and attempt] to standardize it", and it does indeed seem likely there would be no consensus if we *were* we to recommend that course.

On the topic of consensus -- in Tokyo, all the NB experts attending the WG 1 meeting spoke about their NB's ballot response. The UK made its case for a study period, and the other NBs (including the US) supported this activity and approved the scope as set out in N 1494, approved unanimously at the plenary.

I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea that we, a lowly technical committee, should be interfering with a private company - PKWare - by "encouraging" them to do certain things. However, if PKWare is happy to volunteer to work on a skeleton RER, what do people think about including that as one of our deliverables?

If we did that, I think we would also need to present  a roadmap for the standardization route (the 'firmer rationale') to fulfil our brief. We may in this case also decide to recommend putting any further standardization work on hold pending the successful establishment of an RER?

Again, what do people think?

- Alex.