UTF-8 in ZIP

robert_weir at us.ibm.com robert_weir at us.ibm.com
Tue Nov 2 18:55:44 CET 2010

I think this question demonstrates how backwards this Study Group is.

Often a company that owns a patent may make the decision to pursue
standardization of their technology.  Why?  Because they believe that
doing so leads to a larger market, and a larger overall profit for them.
So better to have less than 100% of a larger market than to have 100% of a
small market.  In order to make the standard more adoptable and to grow
the market faster, the rights owners may decide to make the standard
royalty free.  That is a conscious business decision, made in order to
maximize overall profits.

But in this case, PKWARE has not come to us asking to make ZIP an ISO
standard.  So far as I can tell, they have no great need of this.  Their
technology is already globally adopted, and has been for 20 years.  There
is no rapid adoption growth at the level of the format.  But we expect
that they will submit their specification, give up control of it, as well
as disclaim any patent rights they might have?!

Of course, I'd applaud them if they decided to do that.  It would be a
charitable thing to do... if they were a charity.  But why would they do
that?

I think we should seriously consider this.  SC34 seems to be getting more
into a "business development" mode, realizing that its core work is
essentially done and most of the interesting XML work is now occurring in
the W3C and other consortia.  We're looking to reach out to other groups
like IDPF and encourage them to move their work to SC34.  That is fine. It
certainly gets us all into the right frame of mind of considering what the
value of ISO standardization is and trying to sell that value proposition
to others.  I encourage that.  But please, consider this also in this
case.  Instead of looking for tricks to try to grab the ZIP Application
Note from PKWARE, maybe some member of this WG might offer a few words on
why PKWARE should want to do this.  Maybe we can try selling the idea
rather than just demanding it.  What can we offer PKWARE?

Just a thought...

-Rob