UTF-8 in ZIP

robert_weir at us.ibm.com robert_weir at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 3 13:01:07 CET 2010

sc34wg1study-bounces at vse.cz wrote on 11/03/2010 03:48:41 AM:

> sc34wg1study-bounces at vse.cz
>
> On 3 November 2010 00:08, MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)
> <eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp> wrote:
> > If ZIP is full of hidden traps for license fee, we should think about
> > creating an alternative standard.   ZIP is GIF.  We need PNG.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Makoto
>
> +1
> PKWARE haven't answered any questions on IP as yet,
> The ODF  seem to have fully defined what they require of us,
> presumably to stop them having to do it in ODF,
> it does leave us with that option.

For the record, although we have had a discussion on the OASIS ODF TC
regarding the relative merits of referencing the full ZIP Application Note
versus referencing a subset or profile of that specification, we have
never expressed interest in moving to anything that was not 100%
compatible with existing ZIP tools and libraries.  In my opinion that
would be unacceptable to my committee.

Also, it might be worth refreshing ourselves on how patent disclosures and
declarations work in ISO.  We don't interrogate vendors about patents in
study groups, or at least not with any expectations of a response.  WG's
develop specifications with normative requirements and then we ask whether
_anyone_ is aware of patents that would be necessary to implement these
requirements.  If any are raised, this information is sent to ITTF who
then contacts the rights owner to see if they will submit a patent
declaration using the "Patent Statement and Licensing Declaration" Form.

Finally, as I mentioned before, we might want to practice our business
development skills and try to persuade PKWARE of the advantages of working
in SC34.  For example, I assume that when Murata-san works with the EPUB
folks, the first words out of his mouth are not, "I don't care about
technology.  I care about the money". Let's assume, just for sake of
argument, that there is more than one party in this conversation that
cares about money.  So let's try to sell the idea of doing ZIP in SC34. If
we can't do this, and just continue to antagonize vendors, then this news
will leak out, and we will have a much harder time getting vendors to
contribute specifications to SC34.  In fact, if this pervasive attitude
were more widely know, it would probably impact the ongoing EPUB
discussions.

-Rob