UTF-8 in ZIP

robert_weir at us.ibm.com robert_weir at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 3 19:04:55 CET 2010

Of course, the presumption is that ISO would not be satisfied to
standardize the Application Note as-is.  For example, it is not in the
correct format.  So some creative contribution would be made, and a
copyright would apply to the new portions of the derived work.  The net
effect is the same -- the standard could not be redistributed so long as
there was any copyrightable  ISO contribution.

-Rob

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton at acm.org> wrote on 11/03/2010
01:47:05 PM:

> One can only assert copyright on something for which one has acquired
a[n
> exclusive] copyright transfer or is copyrightable subject matter that is
> ones original work (or original work obtained by hire).
>
> So, if something is indeed in the public domain, anything that
incorporates
> (portions of) it does not extend its copyright over the incorporated
> material, which is still in the public domain, even in the place
> incorporated.  If the US government created a specification that became
an
> ISO specification, there is generally no copyright to transfer and the
only
> thing the ISO copyright would pertain to is the "original" material that
was
> made the wrapper on that specification content.  The copies of the US
Income
> Tax instructions that show up in compilations in bookstores all bear a
> copyright notice, but it only extends to the compilation as such, not
the
> content which is a repetition of freely-available documents of the US
> Government Internal Revenue Service.
>
> There is no way to ever pre-empt the copyright (or non-copyrightable)
status
> of a work by its inclusion in a combined work of some sort.  The
copyright
> on the combined/derivative work does not extend over the material that
is
> obtained from the original work.
>
> This seems to confuse open-source contributors and mash-uppers no end.
> Their copyright only applies to the portions that are original to them
*and*
> that consist of copyrightable subject matter.  (Whether they have fair
use
> of the non-original parts depends on the status of those parts as
> copyrightable subject matter, any license granted with respect to those
> parts, and what a judge would have to say on the matter.)
>
> Since it has come up recently, there is generally no tolerance for a
claimed
> copyright on the use of an API (and certainly not a programming
language,
> although the specification of the programming language is a different
> matter).  Languages are not subject to copyright and there is a related
> doctrine on "utilitarian necessity," where if there is essentially only
one
> way to say something (e.g., to use an API or to express something in a
> programming language), saying so is not a copyright infringement.  Of
> course, it is only courts that will determine whether the doctrine
applies
> in a dispute brought before them.
>
>  - Dennis [who doesn't even play a lawyer on televison]

On