DR-08-0014: Shared MLs, Shared Simple Types: ST_String example description error

Shawn Villaron shawnv at microsoft.com
Wed Apr 22 19:03:12 CEST 2009

Greetings,

I had an action item to review the example in 22.9.2.13.  Here is full the context of this snippet:

22.9.2.13 ST_String (String)
This simple type specifies that its contents contains a string. The contents of this string are interpreted based on
the context of the parent XML element.

[Example: Consider the following WordprocessingML fragment:

<w:pPr>
<w:pStyle w:val="heading1" />
</w:pPr>

The value of the val attribute is the ID of the associated paragraph style's styleId. However, consider the
following fragment:

<w:sdtPr>
<w:alias w:val="SDT Title Example" />
</w:sdtPr>

In this case, the decimal number in the val attribute is the caption of the parent structured document tag. In
each case, the value is of type ST_String, and therefore must be interpreted in the context of the parent
element. end example]

This simple type's contents are a restriction of the W3C XML Schema string datatype.

I'd like to propose that we accept the proposed change as described in the current version of the defect report log.  It proposes the following change to the second fragment:

<w:sdtPr>
<w:alias w:val="SDT Title Example" />
<w:id w:val="28565032"/>
</w:sdtPr>

I concur with this change and would like to close this defect report.

Thanks,

Shawn Villaron
Group Program Manager, Microsoft Office PowerPoint