DR-09-0022: SML: Incomplete set of format symbols for numFmts

Shawn Villaron shawnv at microsoft.com
Wed Apr 22 19:29:24 CEST 2009

Greetings,

In Prague we had a discussion regarding this defect report which yielded consensus that we needed to address the missing case when the '/' symbol was used to indicate a fraction.  The remaining action item was to provide the exact changes proposed.  I am offering the following as the proposed changes to the standard.

Part 1, Section 18.8.31, Entitled "numFmts (Number Formats)"

$-+/():space

Displays the symbol. If it is desired to display a character that differs from one of these
symbols, precede the character with a backslash (\). Alternatively, enclose the character
in quotation marks. [Example: If the number format is (000), and the value 12 is in the
cell, the number (012) is displayed. end example]

/

If this symbol is preceded and followed by a number symbol (0, #, and ?), it is interpreted as the fraction format symbol and will display the number in the format of a fraction.

Otherwise it is interpreted as the forward slash character and is displayed as such.

In summary: we remove the '/' symbol from the row it current resides in and then add a dedicated row to this symbol, which addresses both use cases ( literal symbol and fractional symbol ).

Naturally, given our prior conversations regarding this defect report in Prague, I'd like to close this open defect report as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your consideration.

Shawn Villaron
Group Program Manager, Microsoft Office PowerPoint