DR 08-0015: Making rapid progress

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Sun Apr 26 23:20:28 CEST 2009

Dear colleagues,

I am concerned about the slow progress of DR 08-0015
(General: Differences between ISO/IEC 29500:2008 and ECMA-
376:2006, SpreadsheetML), which was submitted November
2008.  We have made some progress in Prague, but
we have not made much progress after that.

If we do not reach consensus on this issue within a
month, I do not think we can start the FDAM ballot
after our Denmark meeting.

Moreover, this issue will become away more difficult
if we have to consider documents conformant to pre-AMD1
29500 as well as those conformant to post-AMD1 29500.

To close this DR very soon, I would like to recommend
two things to WG4 members.

  Write detailed proposals rather than suggesting ideas orally.
  In our future teleconferences, I would like compare a few
  fully-described options and choose a reasonable one; I do not
  intend to spend time on unwritten ideas.

  Be a minimalist and make timely decisions.  The original XML
  Working Group always cared the "minimum required to declare
  victory" and made timely decisions.  As for this DR, I believe
  that the best solution 1 year later will be significantly
  worse than the worst solution at hand now.

Regards,

Your pessimistic convenor
MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)