WML the % Sign Affected Areas (was Re: Material for next week's WG4 Teleconference: Proposed Responses to DRs 08-0001 through 08-0008, and 09-0033)

Shawn Villaron shawnv at microsoft.com
Wed Apr 29 16:58:29 CEST 2009

I wonder if we're headed down a slippery slope with respect to these changes.  For example, are you saying that when defining simple types, we should a) never describe what they're used for, and b) never have examples?  If so, that constitutes a radical editorial change to the standard, and likely warrants a separate defect report, no?  Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your mail.  Would it be possible for you to provide the proposed solution for the ST_TextScalePercent issue you identified below so that I can better understand your request?

For what it's worth, I don't see any harm in a) describing that the ST is used for, nor in b) having examples in ST definitions.  The standard is quite large, and I personally have found this information useful in implementing and debugging our implementation.  I suspect that other implementers, both large and small, would gain benefit from this, too.

Also, given our existing workload, I wonder if cleaning up the spec like this ( arguably valuable editorial improvements ) is the right investment of WG4 resources?  I've personally seen defect reports that are essential that we handle in a timely manner ( missing data, incorrect constraints, etc. ) as those will have a clear impact on people's ability to implement interoperable solutions.  For editorial changes that are limited in scope, I think we should fix those.  But large editorial changes to the spec like this seem optional.

shawn