DR-09-0032 (was Re: DR-09-0032 and DR-09-0034)

Shawn Villaron shawnv at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 30 21:43:04 CEST 2009

I noticed that this response is still listed as FURTHER CONSIDERATION REQUIRED.  It appears from the mail thread that we're relatively close to closing on this one and so I was hoping we could make a few decisions about it.

The first question is of scope: do we change all 402 instances of "content type" as Murata-san identified, or do we scope our changes to the Terms and Definitions ( T&W) section of the standard.  I propose that we limit our response to the T&D section of the standard.

The next question is, if we agree with the current scope, what are the exact changes for the T&D section?  I propose that we add a note regarding our abuse to the existing content type definition; I further propose that we add a new term called "media type" to the T&D section.  Here is the specific changes I'm proposing:

Part 1, §4 Updates
content type - Describes the content stored in a part. Content types define a media type, a subtype, and an optional set of parameters, as defined in RFC 2616.  Strictly speaking, many instances where content type is used throughout the standard, a more correct description would be "media type."

Part 1, §4 Additions
media type - Describes the content stored in a part, as defined in RFC 2616..

To be completely honest, I don't think we need to make either of these changes as I don't believe that they will have any impact on vendors ability to implement the standard, nor their ability to implement interoperable solutions.  That said, I understand that some folks in WG4 believe that this is an important issue.  My motivation at this point is to generate consensus on this defect report response and move it along.

Thanks for listening.

shawn