Revisions .vs CORs/AMs: DRs requiring simple but lots of changes

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Thu Aug 27 09:28:11 CEST 2009

Dear colleagues,

We have done the namespace name changes in the first set of FPDAMs. Although
the required changes were very simple, creating and reviewing tons of
editing instructions have been just difficult.

Some of the remaining DRs also require simple but lots of changes.

90248   General: Removing the need for qualifiers on attributes in Strict
90269   General: W3C Schema Licensing
90196	General: Conventions for element long names
90194	WML: Use of terminology "id" and "unique identifier"
90032   General: Inappropriate use of "content type"

Japan has recently submitted some DRs.  One of them also requires simple
but *tons* of changes (one change per every element).

I do not think that the sheer number of simple editing instructions
should block us from improving 29500.

I do not think that WG4 should try to create revisions by taking the
usual steps: CD, FCD, and FDIS ballots.   However, the directives allow
the publication of approved FDAMs as revisions.  We have to keep this
option in mind.

Regards,

SC34/WG4 Convenor
MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)