DR-09-0034 (was "Re: DR-09-0032 and DR-09-0034")

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Tue Feb 17 02:50:09 CET 2009

I would argue that it is our obligation to register OOXML media types.
ODF people have registered their media types.  The media types for XML
are registered at IANA, and the media type for RELAX NG compact syntax
is also registered (I was involved in both).  I do not want my working
group to ignore best practices of Internet.  Now, people can rightly
claim that we are bad guys and ODF people are good guys.

Since these media types belong to the vendor tree (as opposed to
the standard tree), it should not be difficult to register these media
types.  We only have to send some e-mails to the ietf-types mailing list.
More about this, see http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4288

I also think that 29500 should provide some more information
about these media types.  Such information should cover
parameters at least.

Are the media types listed in OOXML intended to be used in the HTTP or
MIME content-field?  Or, are these media types used only in [Content_Types].xml?
If they are used only in [Content_Types].xml, I do not think we need
parameters for these media types.

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) <EB2M-MRT at asahi-net.or.jp>