WG4's handling of DR-09-0248 - General: Removing the need for qualifiers on attributes in Strict

Jirka Kosek jirka at kosek.cz
Thu Jul 2 00:31:02 CEST 2009

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) wrote:

> I am not sure if such a note is a good thing to do.  Since we have not
> prepared the required change text, we might encounter another problem
> next time and thus give up again.

But without such note or note saying "do not yet implement OOXML Strict,
it will be substantially changed in next amendments" it will be really
bad to change to unqualified attributes after say one year. That would
mean that we will introduce to Strict as defined in IS 29500 two
backward incompatible changes -- firstly namespace change and secondly
after some time we will move WordprocessingML attributes from this
namespace.

I don't think that maintenance process of IS 29500 should create such
turbulent environment. If such substantial changes has to be made, they
should be made once and together.

Is it really necessary to include all 800 modified pages into amendment?
Isn't it sufficient to just describe in general what is changed and
adapt schemas. Examples spread over the standard can be modified later
when next complete version of amended standard is published. I think
that concise amendment not showing all changes as change tracked text is
better then confusion created by constantly changing Strict schema.

				Jirka

  Jirka Kosek      e-mail: jirka at kosek.cz      http://xmlguru.cz