WG4's handling of DR-09-0248 - General: Removing the need for qualifiers on attributes in Strict

Jirka Kosek jirka at kosek.cz
Thu Jul 2 22:27:00 CEST 2009

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) wrote:

> I continue to feel uneasy unless I understand minor details.  We're
> running out of time.  Please provide required instructions,
> demonstrate that incorrect non-normative examples are not that
> harmful.  Review all occurrences of at least a few attributes and
> show which one has to be corrected by which instruction and which one
> does not have to be corrected.

Hi Murata-san, folks,

please find attached draft of editing instructions which implement
DR-09-0248. I think that editing instructions are short and clear and
should not create any confusion. Any comments welcomed.

>> Moreover, it seems that you see main problem in examples. But those
>> examples are just informative part of the standard (see Part 1/Section
>> 7/Page 16), so this IMHO decreases need to literally add them into AMD1.
>
> I do not know if occurrences of WML-qualified attributes are restricted
> to examples.  I know that they occur in examples but they may appear
> elsewhere.

Yes, all qualified attributes (not only WML but also from other 3
namespaces) are only in examples in Part 1.

Proposed editing instructions duplicate all examples which use qualified
attributed and create one listing for Transitional (with qualified
attributes) and one for Strict (with unqualified attributes) conformance
classes.

>> As there will be other changes in schema, wouldn't it be easier just to
>> dump complete new schema into AMD1? This will be just one editing
>> instruction: replace old schema with new one.
>
> This is not the way the Defect Log has been prepared.  I believe that
> the upcoming DCORs and FPDAMs will contain many small changes.  One
> could argue against that style, but it is too late to do so.

But is there something which prevent use of two different styles of how
changes are expressed? One universal style is not necessary the best
style for all types of changes.

Have a nice day,

			Jirka

  Jirka Kosek      e-mail: jirka at kosek.cz      http://xmlguru.cz