DR-09-0053: PML, Presentation: Attribute name pitchFamily is misleading

Shawn Villaron shawnv at microsoft.com
Mon Jun 8 06:12:04 CEST 2009

Greetings,

In reviewing this defect report, a suggestion is made to improve the readability of the standard by changing the name of the pitchFamily attribute in PresentationML, to clarify that this attribute covers the pitch and the family for the font.

In Prague the suggestion was to make a narrative fix to avoid a breaking file format change ( which is what changing the attribute name would be ).  So this evening I've reviewed the current prose and am unconvinced that a narrative fix is required.  Here is the current text of the at-issue clause ( emphasis mine ):

19.2.1.13        font (Embedded Font Name)
This element specifies specific properties describing an embedded font. Once specified, this font is available for use within the presentation. Within a font specification there can be regular, bold, italic and boldItalic versions of the font specified. The actual font data for each of these is referenced using a relationships file that contains links to all available fonts. This font data contains font information for each of the characters to be made available in each version of the font.

Attributes

Description

pitchFamily (Similar Font Family)

Namespace: .../drawingml/2006/main

Specifies the font pitch as well as the font family for the corresponding font. Because the value of this attribute is determined by a byte variable this value shall be interpreted as follows:

This information is determined by querying the font when present and shall not be modified when the font is not available. This information can be used in font substitution logic to locate an appropriate substitute font when this font is not available.

The possible values for this attribute are defined by the W3C XML Schema byte datatype.

Given the red bolded text above, I think that the documentation is pretty clear.  And so it's my recommendation that we start the process for closing this without action.

Thanks,

shawn