NVDL for Atom extensions (was Re: W3C Document on Versioning)

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Tue Jun 9 05:29:57 CEST 2009

Shameless plug: My talk at XML Prague 2009 is about validation of
atom extensions.  I believe that the same technique can be used for
validation of OOXML extensions without complicating the current OOXML
schemas any further.  The abstract is:

>Full validation of Atom feeds containing extensions using NVDL
>
> The RELAX NG schema in RFC 4287 (The Atom Syndication Format) does not
> provide full validation of Atom feeds containing extensions. Rather,
> this schema skips extension elements and attributes, even when extension
> elements further contain Atom feeds or entries. This document shows that
> ISO/IEC 19757-4 Namespace-based Validation Dispatching Language (NVDL
> for short) allows full validation of atom feeds containing extensions.
> NVDL decomposes atom feeds containing extensions into (1) extension-free
> atom and (2) extensions so that (1) and (2) are validated separately. As
> an example, an NVDL script for Google Calendar is presented.

It is available at:

http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/versioning-strategies

There are some enthusiastic supporters of NVDL in WG4.  NVDL has been
already used in a non-normative appendix of OOXML Part 3.

P.S.  Watching my own presentation is scary.