Registering a media type for TrueType fonts (DR 09-0036)

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Mon Jun 15 21:22:59 CEST 2009

1. My recommendation to WG4

I recommend Microsoft or WG4 to register a vendor-tree media type for
TrueType fonts under the top-level media type "application".  That media
type should be dedicated to true type; it should not cover TrueType
collections (.ttc) or Adobe PostScript Type 1 fonts (.oft).

2. History

I requested WG2 to register a standard-tree media type for OpenType under
the top-level media type "application".  However, WG2 and SC29/WG11 would
like to create a new top-level media type "font", and then create a media
type for OpenType under "font".  It is unclear when (and if) "font" can
be registered.  Since a standard-track RFC is needed for a new top-level
media type, "font" is much harder than a media type under existing top-level
media types.  After the inception of MIME, only one top-level media type
("model") has been added.  More about this, see the attached mail.

Note: I am very afraid of the (possibly infinite) delay caused by "font".

3. Standard-tree .vs Vendor-tree

Media types in the vendor-tree are of the form */vnd.*.  Registration
in the vendor tree is much easier than that in the standard tree.

Standards Tree  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4288#section-3.1
Vendor Tree     http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4288#section-3.2

4. Top-level media types .vs subtypes

Media types are of the form <top-level-media-type>/<sub-type>.

Top-level media types registration	http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4288#section-4.2.7

5. application/vnd.ms-fontobject

The media type "application/vnd.ms-fontobject" is already registered.
It is not for true type but rather for Embedded OpenType (.eot).  Thus,
we cannot use this media type for TrueType font.

Regards,

SC34/WG4 Convenor
MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)

Forwarded by "MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)" <eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp>