DR 09-0210: WML: Custom XML and Smart Tags

Shawn Villaron shawnv at microsoft.com
Wed Jun 17 07:01:00 CEST 2009

What's the migration story for files which pre-date 29500?  For example, suppose I have a binary wordprocessing document and it contains the equivalent @uri value of something like "c:\users\shawnv\desktop"?  Are you suggesting that there is no upgrade path to Strict for such files?  Wouldn't this bring is into direct conflict with the existing scope of 29500?

I wonder if there is the opportunity to slightly shift your proposal:

*         In "transitional", we offer no guidance

*         In "strict", we offer guidance that should use a namespace name

The data type is going to be similarly tricky, for the same reasons.