Question regarding DR 09-0216

Rex Jaeschke rex at RexJaeschke.com
Mon Jun 29 21:57:08 CEST 2009

I show email traffic (see below) based on my proposed response, but no
record of agreement on the final words after that. Did I miss something, or
do we still need final words?

Rex

1.	DR 09-0216 — WML: Custom XML and Smart Tags
Subject: WML: Custom XML and Smart Tags
Qualifier: Request for clarification
Submitter: Mr. Francis Cave (BSI)
Contact Information: francis at franciscave.com
Submitter’s Defect Number: 08-00131
Supporting Document(s): none
Date Circulated by Secretariat: 2009-05-22
Deadline for Response from Editor: 2009-07-22
IS 29500 Reference(s): Part 1: §17.5.1, “Custom XML and Smart Tags”, p. 529

Related DR(s): none
Nature of the Defect:
The second para on p. 529 following the bullets has: "The distinction
between custom XML markup and smart tags is that custom XML markup is based
on a specified schema."
It is not clear how "a specified schema" is specified in this context. Can
there only be one specified schema per document?
Solution Proposed by the Submitter:
Point to normative text describing how one or more schemas are specified, or
- if this does not exist - provide new text.
Schema Change(s) Needed:
Editor’s Response:
The exact changes are as follows:
Part 1: §17.5, “Custom XML and Smart Tags”, p. 529
The distinction between custom XML markup and smart tags is that custom XML
markup is based on a specified schema, which shall be specified using the
attachedSchema element (§17.15.1.5). As a result, the custom XML elements
can be validated against the schema. Also, as shown below, custom XML markup
can be used at the block-level as well as on the inline (run) level.
2009-06-11 Makoto Murata:
>  which shall be specified using the attachedSchema element
Is this a recommendation or a requirement?  In other words, is the
attachedSchema element authoritative?
2009-06-11 Mohamed Zergaoui:
I was also wondering why it is used "CAN" which is not RFC compliant.

I would also go for a "MAY" ("XML elements MAY be validated") and would also
add ("but MUST be valid with respect to the attachedSchema").