DR-08-0012 Namespace Mapping Table v2

Jirka Kosek jirka at kosek.cz
Fri May 22 12:47:19 CEST 2009

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) wrote:

> For WG4 to revisit this decision, I would like to see new evidences
> or arguments, which all the attendees of WG4 have looked over.  If you
> really propose to revisit our decision, could you write a document that
> summarizes the past discussions (see WG4 N0037 and the WG4 e-mail
> archive) and presents new evidences or arguments?  If your document
> persuades more than half of the WG4 attendees, I think that WG4 can
> reopen it.

Hi Murata-san,

I considered that proposal to change namespace for Strict document is
still just proposal -- but might be this is because I have to left early
1st teleconference where this issue was most discussed.

I'm well aware of all pros and cons of changing namespace and current
opinion here in CZ is that changing solely namespace for Strict is
effort which is not worth doing and will cause more confusion and
problems then preserving current status quo (many our concerns are
similiral to Rick's).

However we would support more complex change like:

Transitional:
 -- keep namespace
 -- make it more close to ECMA OOXML (putting on/off values back,
removing ISO dates, and so on)

Strict:
 -- change namespace
 -- make it really Strict (which means cutting off several Transitional
features like serial dates and probably more I haven't yet have time to
do detail study)

I see that in the current mode it will be impossible to process all
above mentioned changes in one batch. However if members of WG4 can
agree that this is a way to go, we can separate those changes into
separate issues and hope that all of them (or at least majority) will go
through COR and AMD ballots without problems.

But for many reason (I can elaborate more if you want) CZ can't support
just isolated change to Strict namespace. I thought that our position is
clear from beginning, but might be I haven't formulated it as explicitly
as I should. Sorry for that.

				Jirka

  Jirka Kosek      e-mail: jirka at kosek.cz      http://xmlguru.cz