DR 09-0209: WML: Custom XML and Smart Tags

Alex Brown alexb at griffinbrown.co.uk
Fri May 29 16:53:36 CEST 2009

Shawn hi

This proposed resolution strikes me as odd. In the original text we are
told this URI identifies a "namespace" and now this has been changed to
a "classification".

How is a processor to know whether this "classification" string
identifies an XML Namespace or something else (it could be a URI
identifying an ontology concept for example)? And so how can it know
whether, if exporting the smart tags as XML, it should use this URI as a
Namespace, or not?

Or am I missing that smart tags are in fact NOT MEANT to equate to XML
constructs (if so this might be explained in a note, since having them
specified with a w:element and a w:uri attribute makes them smell of XML
....)

- Alex.