DR 09-0211: WML: Custom XML and Smart Tags

Rex Jaeschke rex at RexJaeschke.com
Sat May 30 19:36:58 CEST 2009

A number of Ecma standards (some which were Fast Tracked to JTC 1) have used
"Guidance", "Rationale", and "Note" to distinguish different kinds of
informative text.

"Guidance" is used to make suggestions to implementers.

"Rationale" provides information about why certain decisions were made (or
not made).

The idea of providing rationale to decisions made by standards committees
was pioneered by SC 22/WG14 (C language), which has a whole separate
rational document.

I see no reason to submit a DR about these things. If/when we do a revision
of 29500, we'll need to comply with the ISO formatting rules. And if we want
to get those rules changes or augmented, we can request that too. The rules
as they currently exist haven't been substantially revised in a good while
and don't necessarily reflect the best approach for certain kinds of large
documents, especially with the way they define notes and examples.