Widget scheme

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Thu Nov 12 06:24:24 CET 2009

Dear colleagues,

Widget has its own URI scheme. http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets-uri/

OOXML has the pack scheme.

Svante Schubert in Sun Hamburg contacted me.  I learned from that
ODF people are also considering  some mechanism for accessing parts
in packages.

Harmonization?  Well, things are not that easy.  First,  the Internet
Draft for the pack scheme has expired.  (http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-shur-pack-uri-scheme-05.txt)
Second, we have to remember that the pack scheme is merely provisional.
There is a reason.  When it was first proposed, Roy Fielding and others at
the uri-review at ietf.org ML were very against.

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/uri-review/current/msg00545.html
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/uri-review/current/msg00548.html

Although I have some understanding of URI schemes and I have paid
some attention to this issue for almost 2 years, I still do not
understand well.  I am not sure if it is a good idea to introduce new
URI schemes for referencing to parts in packages.  At the same time,
I do not (yet) feel comfortable about alternatives such as 1) fragment
identifiers and 2) path names following package names in IRIs.

I'm hoping that more WG4 members study this complicated issue and
contribute.