The future of "Transitional": Japanese concern

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Thu Nov 19 02:14:56 CET 2009

Francis,

(Again wearing my Japanese hat)

> The agreed UK position is that the purpose of the Transitional conformance class and
>features, as specified in Part 4, is to provide faithful representation
>of legacy documents.

It appears that your understanding of "legacy documents" appears to be
different from ours.  In our understading, document that have been
or will be created, modified, or viewed  by legacy software are
legacy documents.  After all, isn't it very difficult to create strict
documents using existing MS Office in the future?

>If the old versions of Microsoft Office and other systems that were
>used to produce these legacy documents were unable to format text in all
>languages correctly (which is hardly surprising, by the way), Part 4
>should enable us to represent those documents faithfully INCLUDING all
>typographic lacunae. In other words, if a typographic feature was
>missing and could not be expressed in a legacy document, it would be
>wrong to try to rewrite history by enhancing Part 4 and thereby
>"correcting" the presentation of old documents.

An important omission in MS Word is not  inability to format documents
correctly but rather inability to recognize page layout specified
in terms of KIHONHANMEN (see 2.2.4 http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/NOTE-jlreq-20090604/#en-subheading1_1_4
of the requirement document) rather than margins.  I guess that
it is possible to create OOXML extensions so that documents can
contain specifications in terms of KIHONHAMEN *as well as*
margins.  Legacy software is expected to handle such documents
and produce good layout using margin information, while new
applications can further provide better user interfaces in terms of
KIHONHANMEN.