DCOR ballot procedure for NBs

Alex Brown alexb at griffinbrown.co.uk
Tue Oct 13 09:31:06 CEST 2009

Dear all,

I have found myself very confused by the JTC 1 Directives (as usual),
when trying to understand the procedure for NB voting during the DCOR
ballot, and have heard several points of view from several people who
are familiar (or who thought they were familiar) with this process.

I understand that the direction of the SC 34 secretariat is that NB's
*may* lodge a conditional no vote if they wish. This is made explicit in
the form G19 used for voting in the ballot which contains this option to
accompany a disapproval vote with comments:

 "Acceptance of these reasons and appropriate changes in the text will
change our vote to approval".

Given the size of the DCOR proposal I think it is likely faults will be
noted by NBs in the ballot. It is therefore possible that WG 4 may be
required to perform ballot resolution in Paris (it is assumed NBs which
lodge such a vote will dutifully attend).

I therefore propose ballot resolution is added to the agenda as a
provisional piece of business (obviously dependent on the DCOR vote
tally).

- Alex.

--
Alex Brown
Convenor ISO/IEC JTC 1 SC 34 WG 1; editor ISO/IEC 19757-5 (Extensible