My comments on DR 10-0001

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu Apr 8 12:07:44 CEST 2010

Rick Jelliffe <rjelliffe at allette.com.au> wrote:

> OOXML:
>
> I suggest that the same approach might be applicable for OOXML dates, if
> I have understood the issue from the emails.
>
> For example, this kind of text:
>
> "Date Error Correction in spreadsheets: (Normative)
>
> A conforming producer application must generate valid dates. A
> conforming document must contain valid dates. A conforming consumer
> application may provide the following limited date correction:  if the
> day value is larger than the maximum number of days possible in that
> month and year, treat the day as if it were an index of days from the
> start of the given month.

What problem would this solve?

To me it sounds like exactly the opposite of the objective of finding
the most reasonable way to represent existing spreadsheet documents
that reference a non-existing day between 1900-02-28 and 1900-03-01
as if there had been a day between those two dates.

(As I wrote earlier, I agree that for the Strict conformance class,
we don't need a way to represent such documents. But for the Transitional
conformance class, a well-defined representation is needed.)

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Owner/CEO, Adaptux GmbH - http://adaptux.com
Coaching and Consulting in all areas of informatics management including