My comments on DR 10-0001

Horton, Gareth Gareth_Horton at datawatch.com
Thu Apr 8 15:32:54 CEST 2010

Jesper,

As the spec is currently written, you must deduce date values in S, as you have to persist them in the cell value as ISO8601 dates with the t attribute set to d.

That's why my point is under what possible circumstances can the prohibition of writing 29th Feb 1900 be catastrophic in a conversion.

I think conversion from T to S is extremely important, given my experience in spreadsheets.  A huge amount of spreadsheets were created years ago and new sheets, ranges, data is replaced, added and removed in those spreadsheets over periods of years.

Such documents have historically survived and evolved to take advantage of new features in applications, do you propose that we should seek to put a stop to this and put them in a Transitional stasis, rather than allowing them to take advantage of new features in an evolving standard?

Gareth