DR 09-0157 - WML: restriction on ordering of run properties

Jirka Kosek jirka at kosek.cz
Wed Apr 21 11:27:02 CEST 2010

Jirka Kosek wrote:

> The change is only in schemas. You can easily see diffed schemas at
>
> https://www.assembla.com/code/IS29500/subversion/changesets/89
>
> and use it in draft COR2 text.
>
> In my opinion there is no need for change in the text of the standard as
> there is nothing said about ordering of those properties and there is
> just reference to schemas.

According to teleconference I have prepared two possible ways how to
change text of the standard.

Variant A:
==========

This variant clarifies in prose that there is additional constraint
unexpressed in W3C XML Schema.

The same change has to be done in Part 1 in the following sections:
17.3.1.29
17.3.1.30
17.3.2.27
17.3.2.28
17.5.2.27
17.5.2.28
17.7.5.4
17.7.6.2
17.7.9.1
17.9.25

These sections are ending with Note like:

[Note: The W3C XML Schema definition of this element’s content model
(...) is located in §A.1. end note]

The proposal is to change this note to:

[Note: The W3C XML Schema definition of this element’s content model
(...) is located in §A.1. Each child element from the above table can
occur no more then once. This restriction is not reflected in the
element's content model due to limitations of W3C XML Schema language.
end note]

No change is needed in Part 4.

Variant B:
==========

This variant makes RELAX NG schema normative. Note that RELAX NG is more
close model of prose text then W3C XML Schema also in several different
places, so this change makes real sense.

In Part 1, Annex B:
1. change "(informative)" to "(normative)"
2. change
"If discrepancies exist between the RELAX NG version of a schema and its
corresponding XML Schema, the XML Schema is the definitive version."
"If discrepancies exist between the RELAX NG version of a schema and its
corresponding XML Schema, the RELAX NG is the definitive version."

In Part 2, Annex B:
1. change "(informative)" to "(normative)"
2. add second paragraph with the following text:
"If discrepancies exist between the RELAX NG version of a schema and its
corresponding XML Schema, the RELAX NG is the definitive version."

I have been thinking little bit about issue and personally I would
prefer variant C (= A + B).

Variant C:

Make both changes proposed (ie. merge variant A and B).

I looking forward for discussing this tomorrow. I will be able to attend
telcon only for first 90 minutes or so, so if possible I would like to
discuss it in the first half of telcon. Thanks.

				Jirka

  Jirka Kosek      e-mail: jirka at kosek.cz      http://xmlguru.cz