DR 09-0291 ? OPC: Use of term "Unicode string"

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Fri Aug 13 02:06:09 CEST 2010

I am against the first option, and support the last option.

This area has been clumsy for the past 20 years.  Different spec did
slightly different but equally ad-hoc things.  Things have become
messier and messier.  Now, we have LEIRI, IRIs, and URIs.  I guess that
more than 10000 e-mails have been written for standardizing them.  Why
don't we simply use LEIRI, IRIs, and URIs?

See Clause 5 in LEIRI.  It shows what is not allowed as part of IRIs but
allowed as part of LEIRIs.  Does OPC do the same thing?  Or, does
OPC do something different?

http://www.w3.org/TR/leiri/

The same topic has been discussed for HTML5 for 2 years.  In the case of
HTML5, people appear to have some reason for inventing our own "URL5".
But I do not see any reasons not to use LEIRI in OPC at least now.