DR 10-0031 — Alternative Format Import Part Permissible content types is too restrictive.

Chris Rae Chris.Rae at microsoft.com
Mon Aug 30 22:51:40 CEST 2010

http://cid-c8ba0861dc5e4adc.office.live.com/view.aspx/Public%20Documents/2010/DR-10-0031.docx

This DR covers the list of alternate formats given in Part 1, 11.3.1, and whether it is indeed a complete list.

This is a good catch - I've done a bit of investigation here as well and I think the way the standard reads right now definitely isn't right. The intent of this Part is to allow embedding of other textual data, with the intent that it is converted into IS 29500 by the consuming application. Given this, we should neither mandate that applications understand particular alternate formats nor restrict them to a particular set of formats - for example, both RTF and ODT are missing from the list but it's not right that we require applications to understand RTF or ODT in order to be IS 29500 conformant.

I propose that we alter this list to be informative, but leave it in in order to help implementers. Faux tracked changes to the standard are in the attached document.

Your thoughts,