stylesWithEffects / musings ?

Alex Brown alexb at griffinbrown.co.uk
Tue Feb 16 17:50:36 CET 2010

Murata-san

>> So I repeat
>> my question, are such elements - used in extensions - subject to the
>> constraints of 29500?

> No.  It is subject to the constraints of the MS Office 2010 extension specifications

A wise man (Rick Jelliffe) wrote recently [1] about another document format:

"the purpose of namespaces is to *prevent* third parties redefining elements or attributes"

That's a view which I've certainly subscribed to in the past -- and therefore would assume that we (SC34/WG4) has some kind of jurisdiction over "our" Namespaces.

I think it is certainly bad citizenry/ecosystem-wrong-doing, or whatever, for parties to redefine Standard elements and attributes in non-Standard ways (not least since some tools may use Namespaces as a cue for how to process documents) - I'm surprised OOXML allows this!

- Alex.

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-comment/201002/msg00024.html