Custom XML Defect Reports

Francis Cave francis at franciscave.com
Wed Feb 17 01:34:44 CET 2010

I understand the distinction between Smart Tags and Custom XML.

What you seem to be suggesting is that the phrase "is based on a schema"
does not imply that this is verifiable, but simply that it would be possible
to write a schema to which the customXML (if suitably-transformed) would
conform, and that, if such a schema exists, it is possible to attach it to
the document.

The previous paragraph states: "Custom XML markup allows the application of
the XML elements defined in any schema syntax (XML Schema, NVDL, etc.) to be
applied to the contents of a WordprocessingML document in one of two
locations...". This also appears to imply that there must be a schema for it
to qualify as Custom XML.

I think the text should make it clear that it is not necessary to attach a
schema to Custom XML, but that, as a consequence of the way in which Custom
XML is expressed (as w:element elements, which are part of the WML schema),
it will always represent well-formed XML.

Francis Cave

”

”