OPC and OCF (regarding my action item for "+opczip")

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Thu Feb 18 14:07:57 CET 2010

Dear colleagues,

I have an old action item.

> Murata-san will look at writing an RFC for registering a generic OPC package media type and establishing
> a naming convention (such as "+opczip") for specialized media types derived from OPC. Pending

This mail is just for information.  I have not finished this action item
yet, but I am afraid that I might eventually give up this attempt.

My experiences with "+xml" teach me that establishing a naming
convention is difficult if similar ones are expected.  In the case of
XML, it was said that XML is the first one after the invention of media
types.

I find that EPUB has OEBPS Container Format (OCF) 1.0.  OCF is a general-purpose
container technology, and is also based on zip.  EPUB is used by Google,
Apple, Sony, and Adobe among others.

http://www.openebook.org/ocf/ocf1.0/download/ocf10.htm

We already know that W3C has Widget Packaging and Configuration (a
candidate recommendation).  It defines a package format dedicated to
widgets.  Part 3 of ODF 1.2 also defines a package format.  It is
dedicated to ODF documents.  Both are based on zip.

I will study OCF more, and report again.