OOXML extension for Japanese Layout Requirements

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Sun Feb 21 07:58:00 CET 2010

Rick,

Typographers appear to be very much dissatisfied with computer-based
publishing technology.  Meanwhile, what they request look complicated
and full of exceptions to computer programmers.  (BTW, are Western
typographers easier than Asian typographers?)  Then, should we
ignore them or try to make them completely happy?  I think that we
should cover basic cases first.  That would not make typographers
completely happy but can make them less unhappier.  Moreover,  it will
become much easier for non-typographers to create reasonable layout.

The W3C Japanese Layout Task Force apparently think kihonhanmen-based
page specifications are more important than anything else.  That's why
they have prepared examples.

Grid-controlled positioning is certainly one of the possible ways for
locating floating objects including section headers.  However, I am
not yet sure whether such positioning is a must at this stage of the
game.  Moreover, I don't know whether such positioning is impossible
without extending OOXML.

The Japanese SC34 mirror (including Komachi-san who has involved in
typography for DSSSL and so forth) discussed about possible OOXML
extensions for Asian typography.  We have not reached final conclusions
but we do think that kihonhanmen-based page specifications provide a
good start.