Reconsidering the use of SVG in OOXML

Innovimax SARL innovimax at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 08:06:11 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:11 AM, Shawn Villaron <shawnv at microsoft.com> wrote:

> Have you evaluated whether or not SVG can adequately represent DrawingML
> and VML content?  I think that’s likely to be the first question that needs
> to be addressed regarding this topic.

I don't think we can spot all the problem like you do. There is a whole part
of the document using DrawingML or VML that would give the same or better
results with SVG (and also better interrop and tooling perspective to
users).

I think that even if there is cases where DrawingML and VML could express
things that SVG cannot (for which I think they should be explicitly
exposed), it doesn't rule out the 99,99% case where it can without any
trouble.

> Furthermore, just to be clear, SVG can be used in OOXML.  I believe that
> that was the intent of the contentPart change from the BRM …

It is just a "can". My understanding is that there is no support from
existing tools today since it is just an option (like using CGM or
MyFancyVectorialFormat) without any guarantee of interrop or being handled
by the tools.

Furthermore, I fully disrespect with the fact that contentPart is an option
since DrawingML and VML have deeper integration into the specification that
SVG should also have

To be clear, what I'm asking for, is a work item on providing an OOXML with
SVG (without Drawing nor VML) profile in order to express clearly how users
and implementers could achieve interrop on that point

I think that the same should be thought about OOXML with MathML (without
OMML) profile

We discussed last time about providing broader visibility to our work and
give people bigger interest : I think that's one face of the coin, i.e.
providing integration with already existing standards

Mohamed