Proposed Response to FPDAM Part 1 BR-0001, et al

Rex Jaeschke rex at RexJaeschke.com
Mon Jan 25 17:04:08 CET 2010

Shawn wrote “… Given these, and other, mechanisms currently provided for in ISO/IEC 29500, and that such mechanisms provide support for the known versioning use cases, WG4 does not believe we need a new versioning technology.  We continue to evaluate new versioning-related use cases, and in the event we find one which cannot be supported by existing versioning technologies, we will consider adding additional versioning technology at that time.”

I think Shawn had it just right. I agree with him that this is exactly the right time to make a strong/definitive statement. We have spent so much time on this issue and made no change whatsoever. I am not aware of any member feeling so much in doubt that they are actively working on proposals to identify unhandled cases that need new mechanisms.

We could add the prefix “WG4 is not sure” in front of many decisions we’ve made thus far, but that would unnecessarily weaken those responses. We always reserve the right to revisit our decisions if new information comes along.

I support strongly Shawn’s original words.

I’m fine with the rewrite.  I was hoping to make a more definitive statement given all of the discussions we’ve had, but if folks want to take this approach, I’m fine.