stylesWithEffects / musings ?

Alex Brown alexb at griffinbrown.co.uk
Mon Mar 1 11:06:57 CET 2010

Dear all,

Returning to this topic (which I find very hard, since there is a cat's cradle of interactions between different provisions of the different Parts) ...

*If* we accept that Part 3 applies, then  clause 9.1 has:

"Future versions of markup specifications shall specify new namespaces for any markup that is enhanced or
modified by the new version  [...]"

And while it is perhaps not 100% clear what "enhanced or modified" means, changing the content model is certainly "modifying the markup".

So I think this means any extension which re-uses an existing OOXML Namespace has to use the element defined in that Namespace (by Parts 1 and 4) "as is". If there is a desire to modify the markup the elements must be subsumed into a new Namespace using the mechanism that Clause 9.1 goes on to describe.

And so if we want "future versions of markup specifications", they need to have new all-new Namespaces when building on existing OOXML markup.

- Alex.