Complexity of date/time issues (was Re: DR 10-0001...)

Chris Rae Chris.Rae at microsoft.com
Mon May 3 22:59:56 CEST 2010

Hi Norbert - as you say below, there are two separate issues at play here. The removal of 8601 dates from transitional is intended to bring transitional back toward parity with ECMA-376 - a number of WG4 members believe that transitional should not itself have been extended at the BRM, as stated in DR 09-0275, and this work is being proposed in this vein.

The second issue is how time zones should be treated in spreadsheets. Although time zone support was seemingly introduced at the BRM with the adoption of ISO 8601 dates, it's been the feeling of some WG4 members that the ISO 8601 date support was not specific enough to allow implementers to interoperate in all cases. The support added at the BRM technically allowed anything that could be lexically represented in a format specified by ISO 8601 to exist in a spreadsheet cell - as well as dates and times, this encompasses dates with timezones, durations, recurring time periods and several other things that the standard gives too little information to allow implementers to utilise. As a result, WG4 began work on "profiling" ISO 8601 date support - this essentially meant cutting down the variants of ISO 8601 lexical formats to a manageable set which made sense in spreadsheet cells. Right now, that work incorporates a statement that all dates and times are stored in spreadsheet cells as local time, with no time zone component. This definitely goes against your wish that time zones be incorporated into SpreadsheetML and we'd be interested in your thoughts as to how time zones could successfully be dealt with in SpreadsheetML without the existence of a reference implementation. Will you be on Thursday's WG4 call? It would be great if we could put these two items on the agenda.