Complexity of date/time issues (was Re: DR 10-0001...)

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Thu May 6 13:23:28 CEST 2010

Dear colleagues,

> The removal of 8601 dates from transitional is intended to bring transitional
> back toward parity with ECMA-376 - a number of WG4 members believe that
> transitional should not itself have been extended at the BRM, as stated
> in DR 09-0275, and this work is being proposed in this vein.

In my understanding, this is not the reason. The reason is that Ecma-376 (1st
edition) implementations misinterpret 8601 dates in transitional 29500
documents thus causing serious interoperability problems.  The risk of
such misinterpretation was not known at the BRM.

Regards,

SC34/WG4 Convenor
MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)