=?iso-8859-7?Q?RE:_DR_09-0045_=AF_WML, _Fonts:_Character_encodings_of_font?= names

Chris Rae Chris.Rae at microsoft.com
Tue Nov 9 20:40:30 CET 2010

I had a shot at wordsmithing this before I noticed Caroline's reply, and I'm delighted to report that our two versions looked eerily similar. I've attached what I think will be final changes for this - I just changed a couple of words and used "Microsoft Windows" instead of "Windows". Final text (also attached) reads:

--
Font names stored using this element shall be specified in the encoding specified by the Fonts part in its XML declaration; the name of the font will be interpreted by the XML parser. [Note: UTF-8 is not supported for font names within OpenType fonts, and is not always supported for file names in file systems. For example, older Japanese versions of Microsoft Windows use Shift JIS for filenames. To use extant font names in the values of this attribute, they should be converted to the character encoding appropriate for this standard and copying raw byte sequences from font files should be avoided. end note]
--

Rex, I think we can probably move this one to Last Call without a teleconference, given that this was just the production of wording that we agreed upon in Tokyo.