DR 09-0168 ? OPC: No mechanism to distinguish ECMA-376:2006 from IS 29500

Chris Rae Chris.Rae at microsoft.com
Thu Nov 18 19:23:27 CET 2010

As far as my understanding goes, the informative Appendix A existed just as a sort of guide about how to turn a Unicode string into a part name. The Unicode strings themselves never ended up as part names. I'm not quite sure what the purpose of the Annex truly was, but I don't think it allows non-ASCII part names to actually exist, it just gives you a guide on how to turn your non-ASCII string into a valid part name.

My thinking re. the part 2 changes was to build them onto some sort of Part 4 section saying "these modifications need to happen to part 2". It does unfortunately highlight the problem with Part 4 being in an addendum type of style, though.