DR 09-0012 _ Parts, Font Part: Incomplete definition for Font Part

mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Wed Oct 27 15:48:53 CEST 2010

Dear Chris,

I propose to exclude TTC format from the list of acceptable
font formats, if existing implementation of OOXML had never
embedded TTC. Embedding TTC has several problems:

- current OOXML spec does not define a method to specify
  a face in multiple faces in TTC. This was filed as DR 09-0047.
  In the discussion to close DR 09-0047, the existing
  implementations were checked ans TTC support was dropped.
  So, the second item should be described as:

  * application/x-font-ttf specifies that the font shall be
    stored in a format conforming to Open Font Structure
    defined in ISO/IEC 14496-22:2008 section 3.5.
    The TrueType Collection format defined in ISO/IEC
    14496-22:2008 section 3.6 must not be used.

- the obfuscation requires a GUID to restore original font.
  if multiple faces in a TTC are used in the document,
  the multiple faces from single TTC font should share
  same GUID? Or, to assign different GUID to multiple faces,
  single TTC font should be obfuscated by multiple GUIDs
  and multiple obfuscated objects from single TTC should
  be embedded? I think both are not good idea. So I propose
  to exclude TTC from the obfuscated font.

    * application/vnd.openxmlformats_officedocument.obfuscatedFont
      specifies that the font is obfuscated using the algorithm
      specified by Font Embedding (section 17.8.1). The source
      font shall be stored in a format conforming to Open Font
      Structure defined in ISO/IEC 14496-22:2008 section 3.5.
      TrueType Collection format defined in ISO/IEC 14496-22:2008
      section 3.6 must not be used.

In addition, before the list of 3 media type, "can be stored
in one of *TWO* formats" should be replaced by "can be stored
in one of *THREE* formats".

Regards,
mpsuzuki