XML signatures and RELAX NG schemas in ISO/IEC 29500-2 (OPC of OOXML)

Chris Rae Chris.Rae at microsoft.com
Tue Sep 28 00:22:39 CEST 2010

Hi Murata-san - I asked David LeBlanc, our crypto/signing expert, about these questions. I was about to try and paraphrase what he said here, but after I started I realised it would be much simpler just to give you it from the horse's mouth:

--
Exclusive C14N is used when some sub-element is signed, and then it gets moved to a new parent document. We never do that, so we don't have that problem, and there's no need to use exclusive C14N.

Next, exclusive C14N is a 'may' that is only referenced inside of a note to xmldsig 1.1. As we have no need for it in our current signatures, and it is not required, then we don't currently support it.

As to xmldsig 2.0, they have unfortunately chosen to make it a breaking change instead of an incremental change. This will make it more difficult to adopt, as if we do start emitting 2.0 signatures, then older versions would believe these to be invalid. Exclusive C14N is a requirement of xmldsig 2.0, assuming the draft isn't changed, and if we support xmldsig 2.0, we'll support exclusive C14N at that time.
--

Does that answer your questions?