Revised document conformance text

Chris Rae Chris.Rae at microsoft.com
Mon Aug 1 20:11:54 CEST 2011

Good morning all - I did a bit of thinking about this at the end of last week after the call. As I mentioned on the call, it was never our intent to remove the application conformance section - this was an inadvertent editorial error on my part that I corrected in future drafts. The application conformance classes should remain.

On Murata-san's second point (removal of document conformance classes that are used later in the text), this is something that Alex and I had overlooked when working on the draft and does indeed need to be corrected. Right now there are two places that go together to define document conformance classes in IS 29500. The first is in the 2.4 Document Conformance section (which defines SML/PML/WML Strict and Transitional), and the second is in the ST_Conformance simple type (which defines the enumeration values Strict and Transitional, to apply to those classes). I don't believe that the link between them is normatively clear.

I would prefer to define conformance by using only two conformance classes (Strict and Transitional). We already have document categories for the three markups, so I think the use of independent conformance classes is duplicative. These changes can be effected by:

* Adding a bullet to the revised conformance criteria (for both Parts 1 and 4) stating that the document shall be of Strict/Transitional conformance class
* Changing the various references in the later text from ".ML Strict" to just "Strict"

Those changes are in the attached text, which includes the Document Conformance sections for both Parts 1 and 4, and then several other textual changes to Part 1.

Your thoughts,