Revised document conformance text

Chris Rae Chris.Rae at microsoft.com
Tue Aug 2 23:03:25 CEST 2011

Hi all - thanks for the responses here. Alex, to your point, I myself also wondered whether we ought to document the existence of the Transitional conformance class in Strict. We could instead make the ST_Conformance class a union of one member (as we've done in similar instances) and add the "Transitional" member in Part 4. But then, of course, it seems odd to have the "Strict" conformance class in transitional, so we probably ought to remove it... at which point we end up with some very strange looking types and once again breaking the concept of Transitional being a superset of Strict. So I thought it was probably best to leave both members in Strict, while excluding the use of one of them. Open to other suggestions, though.

Jesper/Murata-san - I didn't make it clear in my first mail, but we will actually continue to have six application conformance classes (that conformance clause is unchanged by these DRs) - we'd just have only two document conformance classes. An application that supported, say, only strict WML, can claim to support the application conformance class "WML Strict"; however the documents it opened would be of document conformance class "Strict" and category "Wordprocessing", instead of being of document conformance class "WML Strict".