Re: DR 11-0002 — WML: The definition of aiueoFullWidth

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Wed Feb 2 02:15:22 CET 2011

Chris,

We can certainly argue MS Office is correct.

"AIUEO" is a Japanese alphabet.  We have a modern variation and
traditional variation.  Full-width hiragana and katakana in Unicode
can capture both, while half-width katakana in Unicode (and JIS) can
only capture the modern variation.  The difference between these
two variations is the two characters mentioned in this DR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_kana_usage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_kana_orthography

MS Office always follow the modern one for other orderings of the same alphabet.
Meanwhile, in 29500, aiueoFullWidth is based on the traditional
variation, while
others are based on the modern variation.

Personally, I like the traditional version.  But many Japanese cannot read the
two characters omitted in the modern variation.

Cheers,
Makoto <EB2M-MRT at asahi-net.or.jp>