DR 09-0040: WML/DML: Complex scripts

MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Wed Jan 19 14:36:08 CET 2011

> Attached is a further-updated version of this with some text changes from Jesper.
>Please note that these were grammatical/editorial changes only - none
>of the meaning of the document is different.

I am afraid that I still do not understand.

First, I do not think that the proposed solution uses a "four-step
methodology".  To me, it is a two-step algorithm, where the
first step classifies character contents while the second step
derives font slots from classifications.

The first step "decide(s) the classification of the content, based on
its Unicode" AS WELL AS A HINT.  This classification contains Ascii,
hAnsi, and eastAsia.  What is "hint" here?  The value of the w:hint
attribute?  (BTW, <w:hint=”eastAsia”> in the second item is not XML.)

The second step decides the font slot from the classification computed
in the first step.  (If I am not mistaken, this step never introduces
"latin".)

The interaction between the first item and second item in the
itemized list looks unclear.  Both use hint.  Are they talking
about the same thing?

The third item mentions <w:cs/> and <w:rtl/>.  The original JP DR
mentioned more elements.  Are they not covered by the "four-step
methodology"?

Part 1, §17.3.2.2, “bCs (Complex Script Bold)”, p. 281
Part 1, §17.3.2.7, “cs (Use Complex Script Formatting on Run)”, p.289
Part 1, §17.3.2.17, “iCs (Complex Script Italics)”, p. 304
Part 1, §17.3.2.20, “lang (Languages for Run Content)”, p. 304
Part 1, §17.3.2.39, “szCs (Complex Script Font Size)”, p. 335
Part 1, §21.1.2.3.1, “cs (Complex Script Font)”, p. 3596
Part 1, §21.1.2.3.3, “ea (East Asian Font)”, p. 3605

Caroline wrote:

> I have no doubt that the "algorithm" addresses issues raised by this
> DR, but it's not clear to me that the precise question has been answered
> directly.  The DR mentions several specific sections that use the
> phrases "complex script characters" or "complex script contents [of a
> run]" with apparently different interpretations for the range of
> characters included.  Your proposed change to 17.3.2.26 certainly
> doesn't address that directly.

I agree.  I think that for each of the following  sub-clauses (mentioned
above), we should show how we use font slots for the grouping used
in that sub-clause.