DR 09-0295 — WML: gridCols measurement units

Jirka Kosek jirka at kosek.cz
Thu Jan 20 16:55:46 CET 2011

Chris Rae wrote:

> This DR covers the introduction of the mandatory use of measurement
> units in Strict for the various items that were given optional
> measurement units at the BRM. We agreed in Beijing to accept the
> resolution of this DR, and make measurement units mandatory in
> Strict.

Wow, I wasn't aware of this decision. I'm curious to know reasons why
units were made mandatory if someone could spent some time elaborating
on this (or is it in minutes from meeting, actually I don't see any
minutes).

I haven't studied your documents with all consequences in mind, but
definition of "emu" unit is missing. It should be part of table in
"22.9.2.15 ST_UniversalMeasure (Universal Measurement)".

More on this -- personally I see it quite strange to introduce
artificial units like "emu". Is the reason to have clear migration path
from existing files without units which will not introduce any rounding
errors? If so then probably additional units like "twips" should be added.

Also for more efficient parsing I suggest to always use two letter unit
codes if units are going to be mandatory. We can use "uu" (universal
unit) instead of "emu" (english/metric unit) as "em" has different
meaning in languages like CSS and XSL-FO.

			Jirka

  Jirka Kosek      e-mail: jirka at kosek.cz      http://xmlguru.cz