proposal of non-normative regex and text for DR 09-0061, ST_Panose issue

suzuki toshiya mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Tue Jun 14 07:02:36 CEST 2011

Dear Chris,

Thank you for correction, the corrected text is acceptable for me.

The last problem is that "ISO/IEC 14496-22:2007 (so-called ISO
spec for OpenType) is appropriate reference for Panose?".

ISO/IEC 14496-22:2007 does not refer Panose spec in its normative
reference (14496-22:2009 is same). But ISO/IEC 14496 does not
define their own valid ranges for each byte, so referring ISO/IEC
14496 as indirect reference to Panose is acceptable solution,
because:
* it shows the correct pointer to genuine Panose spec.
* it includes no information causing misunderstanding about
  the valid value range of Panose.

Anyway, now I think, this insufficiency (lack of the definition
of genuine/valid Panose in ISO spec or the normative references
in ISO spec) should be worked by the side of ISO/IEC 14496-22,
for first. The permission to refer genuine Panose should be discussed
with HP and MonoType, and the project editor of 14496-22 (from MonoType)
is the most appropriate person.

Regards,
suzuki toshiya, Hiroshima University, Japan