Usage of PURL in the ISO/IEC 29500

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Tue Mar 8 07:26:40 CET 2011

Eckert,

> I am currently collecting information about conformance and interoperability
> statements from the ooxml and odf specifications. In addition to the
> definitions of document and application conformance part1 contains a section
> about application descriptions. The definition of application descriptions
> refers to two purls http://purl.oclc.org/ooxml/descriptions/base and
>  http://purl.oclc.org/ooxml/descriptions/full.
>
> Like for the other purls in the document there seems to be no content behind
> them. For this reason I have the following questions:
>
> ·        How should a purl in the spec be used? Should they refer to some
> real resource? The current schema definitions are working because there is a
> schemaLocation definition in the import statement. But what about the purl
> mentioned above?

These days, IRIs are often used as names of abstract things.  Our use
of PURLs for
identifying an application description is an example.

Some people use IRIs as names and do not bother to provides resources.
Others would like to provide some resources.  RDDL was invented by those
who would like to provide resources for namespace names.

In our case, we have no resources.  Personally, I see nothing wrong.  But
I know that some others might want to provide resources such as HTML
documents explaining application descriptions.

> ·        Are there any ideas how to specify the two basic application
> descriptions?

I have no ideas.  Prose in HTML documents?

> ·        Are there any DRs addressing to modify the conformance statements
> in ooxml?

As far as I know, there are no such DRs.

OOXML is not the first attempt for describing "application descriptions".  But
I am aware of no successful attempts.

Cheers,
Makoto <EB2M-MRT at asahi-net.or.jp>