Making RELAX NG schemas normative rather than non-normative

Rex Jaeschke rex at RexJaeschke.com
Wed Mar 16 18:48:58 CET 2011

When this was raised in Tokyo, I made a comment that I'll repeat here.

While the JTC 1 rules permit electronic attachments to standards, the
contents of such attachments must also be included in the "printed" version.
As such, we have electronic schemas, which are reproduced in Annexes. For
the normative XSD schemas that means we have two versions, one electronic
and one printed, which can lead to the two being out-of-sync. (And I believe
this was the case for 29500:2008.) In such cases, which version is the
"correct" one as far as conformance is concerned? That is unspecified, even
in the consolidated reprint 29500:2011.

Now if we were to add a second normative set of schemas, we'd have four
versions, two electronic and two printed, which doubles the chances of one
or more of them being out-of-sync with the others.

BTW, does anyone know of any other XML-related standard that has multiple
equivalent schemas with all being normative?

That aside, more importantly, I'd like to know just what real-world problem
does the making RELAX NG schemas normative actually solve?